School of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Georgia Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Pharmacy, Kathmandu University, Nepal
Masters in Chemistry, University of Alabama, Huntsville, USA
I graduated from Kathmandu University, Nepal with a Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy working under Dr. Panna Thapa and Dr. Uttam Budathoki on formulation and in-vitro evaluation of lyophilized dry emulsion tablets for mucosal flash delivery of drugs. My master’s degree is in organic chemistry where I worked under Dr. William N. Setzer at University of Alabama, Huntsville towards natural products isolation and computational organic chemistry. I moved to University of Texas, San Antonio for a year as a postmaster researcher to work under Dr. Oleg Larionov on total synthesis of trichodermamide natural products, photochemistry and organometallic chemistry. I started my graduate research at Georgia Tech in Dr. Kubanek’s lab from Spring 2017.
I am interested in the isolation and structure elucidation of bioactive natural products from marine organisms in search for novel drug leads. The process can entail wide variety of approaches in terms of analytical tools used (NMR, LC/MS, HPLC, IR, CD) along with chemical modifications and modeling studies using computation when necessary.
1. Chhetri, B.; Lavoie, S.; Sweeney-Jones, A.M.; J. Kubanek, Recent trends in the structural revision of natural products. Natural Product Reports 2018, 10.1039/C8NP00011E .
2. Mfuh, A. M.; Doyle, J. D.; Chhetri, B.; Arman, H. D.; Larionov, O. V., Scalable, Metal-and Additive-Free, Photoinduced Borylation of Haloarenes and Quaternary Arylammonium Salts. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2016, 138 (9), 2985-2988.
3. Mfuh, A. M.; Nguyen, V. T.; Chhetri, B.; Burch, J. E.; Doyle, J. D.; Nesterov, V. N.; Arman, H. D.; Larionov, O. V., Additive-and Metal-Free, Predictably 1, 2-and 1, 3-Regioselective, Photoinduced Dual C–H/C–X Borylation of Haloarenes. J. Am. Chem. Soc 2016, 138 (27), 8408-8411.
4. Stephens, D. E.; Nguyen, V. T.; Chhetri, B.; Clark, E. R.; Arman, H. D.; Larionov, O. V., Organocatalytic Synthesis of Methylene-Bridged N-Heterobiaryls. Organic Letters 2016, 18 (22), 5808-5811.
5. Chhetri, B. K.; Dosoky, N. S.; Setzer, W. N., Cytotoxic Norhopene Triterpenoids from the Bark of Exothea paniculata from Abaco Island, Bahamas. Planta Medica Letters 2015, 2 (01), e73-e77.
6. Chhetri, B. K.; Ali, N. A. A.; Setzer, W. N., A survey of chemical compositions and biological activities of Yemeni Aromatic Medicinal Plants. Medicines 2015, 2 (2), 67-92.
7. Satyal, P.; Chhetri, B. K.; Dosoky, N. S.; Shrestha, S.; Poudel, A.; Setzer, W. N., Chemical Composition of Blumea lacera Essential Oil from Nepal. Biological Activities of the Essential Oil and (Z)-Lachnophyllum Ester. Natural product communications 2015, 10 (10), 1749-1750.
8. Satyal, P.; Chhetri, B. K.; Dosoky, N. S.; Poudel, A.; Setzer, W. N., Chemical Composition of Nardostachys grandiflora Rhizome Oil from Nepal–A Contribution to the Chemotaxonomy and Bioactivity of Nardostachys. Natural product communications 2015, 10 (6), 1067-1070.